Lankatilaka is Buddhist temple of the 14th century in the Hiyarapitiya village, from the Udu Nuwara area of Kandy district in Sri Lanka. This historical temple was built by the Gampola king, King Buwanekabahu the fourth (1341 – 1351AD), in 1344 AD. Gampola was a stronghold on the banks of Mahaveli River.
The temple premises have three sectors; the actual temple building, the Dagoba or stupa and finally the Bo tree.
The temple like the flights of stairs has two entrances, leading to two different and disconnected sections in the same building. The main and most important sector is the eastern section, the Buddha Image House. The other is on the west, the the Temples of the Gods.
Def. Moonstone: A semi-circular piece of stone which stands at the foot of a flight of steps in most historical Buddhist buildings.
There are inscriptions cut into the rock surface on the temple premises. The inscriptions are both in Sinhala and Tamil, stating that the land was gifted to the Temple by the kings and describing other facilities offered to the temple.
The Lankatilaka Temple is a beautiful cultural heritage of Sri Lanka that has to be visited on a holiday to the country. This temple along with the Embekke temple remains one of the most architecturally advanced structures of the Gampola Kingdom era.