The definition of ‘Ayurveda‘ in simple terms means “the science of life”. Ayurveda represents a system of healing that has been perfected over more than five thousand years. It is famed as South Asia’s ancient health care system based on herbs and diet. Ayurveda sees health and disease in holistic terms. It takes into account the relationship between energy and matter. This system of healing believes in treatment of not just the part affected by disease but the individual as a whole. It emphasizes on the harmony of mind, body and spirit to cure diseases.
What is Ayurveda?
It is an ancient system of medicine developed in our part of the world, long before the “father of medicine”, Hippocrates, was even born. The name comes from two conjoined Sanskrit words “Ayuh” (life) and “Veda” (science or knowledge).
Since ancient times, man has engaged in the pursuit of achieving and maintaining an optimum state of health. Way back in 600 BC, Ayurveda emerged in South Asia as the natural way of healing. Today, Ayurveda has evolved into a scientific system of holistic healing that has gained recognition across the globe.
“Ayurveda” is not only a form of medication – it is a way of life known to generations of Sri Lankans for over 3000 years.
The health conscious today are searching for effective alternatives to the spiraling costs and side effects that result from the use of modern medicine. Sri Lankans, in the last couple of millennia has made use of the “user-friendly and traditional medicine – Ayurveda” which over 75% of the island’s population depend on because of its reliance on natural plants, herbs and oils.
Three vital forces of Ayurveda
One of the fundamental beliefs of Ayurveda is the doctrine of “Tri Dosha” or the Three Vital Forces – Vayu, Pita and Kapha. Generally translated into Wind, Bile and Phlegm, a more accurate interpretation of Vayu is the transmission of energy within the body; in modern medical terms, nerve impulses, muscle contractions and hormonal activity.
Pita may not be confined to bile but signifies the whole scope of metabolism and internal heat production while Kapha means mucus, often described as “The Protective Fluid”.
The modern concept of mucus as an antibody containing liquid which coats and protects internal linings of the body, seems to fit in with Ayurvedic thinking. When the three, “Doshas” are balanced, the body is in good health. When this equilibrium is disturbed and the balance of these complementary forces become unbalanced and upset, illness takes over.
Ayurvedic practitioners study the patient as a whole with the object of restoring balance, getting to the root of the problem and treating it. Local folk have been known to say that while western medicine classifieds germs and attempts to destroy them, Ayurveda classifies human beings and attempts to save them.
* Breakfast, lunch and dinner ( all meals will be individually catered according to your body constitution) * Daily Free Consultation by our Ayurveda Physicians * Daily 2-1/2 hrs Ayurveda treatment in your own villa ( all treatments will be offered after doctors consultation) * Internal & External medicines * Daily yoga session * One music therapy session * One cookery demonstration * Ayurveda awareness program * Daily Exercise Program at pool * Medical report at the end of the program
Shirodhara is a unique form of ancient therapy of pouring oil on the forehead from a specific height and for a specific period continuously and Rhythmatically allowing the oil to run through the scalp and into the hair.
This is a traditional Ayurvedic head therapy using specific herbal oils with specialized gentle deep strokes and pressure on various marma points.
* Helps relieve Insomnia, Headaches * Stress related disorders * Boosting the immune system * This blissfully relaxes and balances the mind, body and spirit
Snehana is an Oleation therapy. It is a luxurious warm oil treatment, whereby the entire body is covered in warm herbal oils.
* Focused on calming the nerves, lymphatic and circulatory systems * Reduces muscle and joint pains * Rejuvenates the whole body * Results a beautiful skin and delays the aging process * Reduces stress * Removes toxins
Sarwangadhara is a ‘pouring oil’ treatment for the whole body.
* Relieves stress * Helps loosen up the toxins * Rejuvenates the whole body * Reduces muscle and joint pains
Udwarthana is a herbal paste treatment specific to the lymphatic system. This treatment helps dissolve excess fat.
* Reduces excess fat accumulated in the body. * Nervous disorders * Enlivens and revitalizes the skin * Promotes the complexion * Helps in removing dirt from the openings of sweat glands
Hastha and Paada abyanga
Application of oils to the feet and palm, therapeutic massage of the feet and palm. Mostly pressure is applied to marma and reflexology points. This affects various other systems and organs in the body.
* Useful for keeping the feet and palms smooth and removing cracks, dryness and fatigue. * Strengthens feet and legs * Strengthens palms and hands * Improves vision * Effective in Insomnia and nervousness * Tone all the organs of the body
Sweda is the warm herbal steam therapy. Swedhara opens up the channels of the body and allows the loosened impurities to move into the digestive tract.
* Makes the whole body feel relaxed and soft * Increase the appetite * Reduces pain, cold, heaviness and muscle spasms * Eliminates toxins * Promotes lightness * Reduces stiffness * Results beautiful skin
Avagaha – Herbal bath
Avagaha means medicinal bath with boiled herbs.
* Results beautiful skin * Helps prevent skin diseases * Increases the strength of the muscles
Vakthra Vimardana is a herbal facial treatment.
* Removes facial toxins * Reduces the appearance of wrinkles * Revitalizes the facial tissues * Corrects the skin conditions, such as ache, black heads, pigmentation etc.
Treating the eyes by applying medicated oils called Akshitharpana.
* Improves eyesight * Relieves tension * Ocular headaches and migraines * Balances the nervous system * Night blindness, cataract, blurred vision
This is a localized oileation therapy in lower back area. Circular darn of organic flour is sealed around either indicated area and the dough ring is filled with constantly replenished warm herbal oils.
* Back problems [Sciatica, slipped discs etc.] * Muscle spasms and pain
This is a localized oileation therapy for cervical area, a circular darn of organic flower is sealed around either indicated area and the dough ring is filledwith constantly replenished warm herbal oils.
* Neck and shoulder pain * Cervical spondylosis * Headaches & migraines * Scoliosis, slipped discs, disc prolapsed etc.
Specially targets the back, shoulders and neck areas with herbal oil.
* Relieves maximum tension * Relieves back pain * Improves the strength of the spinal code * Improves the back muscle tone
This is a localized oileation therapy in chest area (heart), circular darn of organic flour is sealed around either indicated area and the dough ring is filled with constantly replenished warm herbal oils.
* Heart problems (heart muscle weaknesses and wasting) * Strengthens the chest muscles
This is a special treatment for ears by pouring medicated oil into the ears.
* Earache, deafness, tinnitus * Headache * Lock-jaw * Diseases of the teeth and the gums
Pinda Sweda is fomentation with medicated seeds, herbal leaves or dry powders etc.. after a medicated oil treatment.
* Removes stiffness * Removes waste products from the body * Improves the complexion of the skin * Corrects and prevents diseases related to skin, muscle tenderness and nerve
Kavalagraha is a special oral treatment for oral infections with a warm herbal mixture.
* Removes oral infections (tonsillitis) * Removes the flame condition * Strengthens the gums and teeth
Shiro Vasthi is a medicinal herbal oil dipping therapy for the head.
* Depression * Removes stress * Chronic headaches and migraine * Prevents and cures psychologically sleeping, head, hair, eye and ear problems.
A totally moisturizing and nourishing body scrub with pure herbals, which helps to soften and deeply moisturize the skin leaving it fresh and glowing.
* Removes the necrosis tissues * Implements superficial blood circulation * Nourishes the skin * Protects the skin
Herbal Body wrap
Seaweed wrap treatments detoxifying and deeply cleansing the body inside and out with natural herbs. Treatment to pressure points, facial massage and de-stress scalp treatment.
* Nourishes superficial and deep skin * Tensed muscles * Promotes the complexion * Stimulates the blood circulation and lymph gland
This is the application of oil on the body with the help of palms. The abhyanga (Massage) is used for relaxation, as well as giving tone to the muscles and promoting blood circulation. The regular application of oil gives longevity, strengthens the muscles and relieves fatigue. It also treats diseases of the nervous system (Vata Roga). The selection of the type of oil depends on the diagnosis of the physician and the duration of the treatment is usually for 30-40 minutes.
Ayurveda Head Oil Application
This is the application of oil and massaging with the help of hands. Different types of oils are used according to the guest’s condition and any ailments if present. It improves the blood circulation and prevents and cures headache and migraine. It also prevents and cures hair loss, baldness and premature graying of hair and helps hair growth. It promotes eye sight and clears the complexion of the face. It helps the individual to sleep and is good for stress and mental diseases. It is also good for conditions such as facial paralysis and hemiplegia (paralysis).
Ayurveda Facial Treatment
Herbal pastes and steam are used to smooth out wrinkles and clear the skin.
Ayurveda Herbal Bath
Herbal leaves and roots are boiled and the water is poured on the patients. Different types of herbal water is used according to any prevalent ailment and the condition of the patient.
Ayurveda Herbal Steam Bath
Herbal leaves and roots are boiled and the steam passed through the body for a prescribed period of time. Indications – obesity, joint pains.
Ayurveda Nasal Treatment
Medicated oils, herbal juices, powders etc. are administered through the nose tract. This treatment is very effective for chronic sinusitis, chronic headache, migraine, facial paralysis, nasal congestion, cataract and diseases of eye, nose, ear, mouth and head.
Ayurveda Arm Massage
Headaches, neck pain, aching shoulders or tired hands can all be caused by tension in the arms. Massaging the arms helps the arms and shoulders to relax, and can alleviate many of these problems.
Ayurveda Leg Massage
By stimulating the circulation, massaging brings blood and nutrients to the legs and helps to prevent varicose veins. Gentle stroking up the legs towards the lymph nodes can help to reduce puffiness or swelling in the lower legs. Help to reduce accumulation of cellulite, dry skin and flabby thighs.
Ayurveda Neck & Shoulder Massage
Special herbal oil is applied to the neck and the shoulder to release muscular spasms, rheumatic pain and stress related conditions as the neck and the shoulder area is so often stiff and tense. This is due to the neck muscles having to continuously support the head and also many people habitually hunch their shoulders, making the muscles at the sides of the neck very tense.
Ayurveda Foot Massage
During a foot massage, special attention is focused on the tender spots. This massage produces a reflect effect on the internal organs as well as creating a combined soothing and invigorating effect. Massage of the feet prevents and cures dryness, numbness, roughness, fatigue, and cracking of the heels. It strengthens walking and running.
Lakpura Travels (Pvt) Ltd
We are a "Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority" registered Destination Management Company (DMC) based in Colombo, Sri Lanka. We have helped many a traveler explore Sri Lanka since 2008. The team at Lakpura is very passionate about Holidays in Sri Lanka and is looking forward to serve you 24x7.
We will tune our Holidays to your exact specifications, offering as much personal advice as you need, whenever you need it. We have well established relationships with numerous hotels and suppliers across the island to ensure that not only you have access to best prices but also a promise to negotiate an amicable agreements whenever things go wrong.